Module 1 - Orientation - Getting Acquainted with ArcGIS

 


The first module was all about getting to know the basics of ArcGIS. Our first and longest task was to set up all of our files both in Argo Apps and Google Drive. Although somewhat tedious at points, it was definitely nice to practice setting up the data files, zipping and unzipping them, and establishing a good organizational system before starting the project. 


This lab is my first introduction to ArcGIS or any GIS program. At first, I was nervous that the program would be difficult to use or overly complex. However, I was impressed by how simple it was to make this map. Most of the commands I used were in easily locatable positions. I enjoyed customizing the map and exploring the different ways I could visualize the data. I ran into a slight bit of trouble when the city points initially came out far too large, but a brief exploration of the symbology pane led me to the properties tab where I resolved the issue.

After this project, I'm excited to learn more about ArcGIS and how I can apply it to my future research and career.

Comments

Popular Posts