Module 3 - Arc Collector, Sharing Maps, & Projections - Why Preparation Matters!



This week we had two labs: one exploring Arc Collector and sharing maps, and the other exploring different projections. In the first lab, we used the Arc Collector app to collect data about public safety features, including their locations, our ratings of them, and pictures. It was a pleasant surprise when I used the app, as it was easier and more intuitive than I’d expected. The only problem I had was that sometimes while I was walking, the GPS accuracy would decrease (32 ft, rather than 16 ft) so that I had to wait to submit the location. A few times it took too long: in those cases, I exited the app, waited a few minutes, and opened it once again. After reopening the app it took only a few seconds for the GPS to calibrate.

I chose to collect data on the fire hydrants in the Belle Meadow "loop" I use to walk my dog, as I was already walking along that path several times a week. The fire hydrants were rated as "Excellent" (like new), "Fair" (good condition), or "Poor" (barely or not functional). I was also pleased, but not surprised, that none of the fire hydrants in my neighborhood were in poor condition. 

After I'd concluded my data collection, I used several different methods to share my data: I made a Google Earth map,  Arc GIS Online Map, and a map package. Of the three I preferred the ArcGIS Online Map for my purposes (classroom/sharing within the group), as it doesn't have to be opened in ArcGIS and is clearer than Google Maps. However, depending on my intention, I could see myself using both of the other methods fairly easily.


The second lab explored the use of three different projections of the same region. In this case, we projected the state of Florida and its counties with an Albers Conical, UTM 16, and Florida State Plane North projections. It was interesting to see how each projection affected both the size and rotation of the map. Even more illuminating was the side-by-side comparisons of the area calculations of selected counties using the different projections. I was surprised that the calculated area of Miami-Dade County differed by almost 20 miles between the Albers and UTM 16 projections, showing just how important it is to choose the correct projection and keep them consistent in a project. 


The major lesson I took from this week was that proper preparation matters! I had tried to prepare by skimming the introduction to the lab and saw that I needed to take pictures of various public safety features. I proceeded to take pictures of the fire hydrants in my neighborhood and uploaded them to my laptop to use that night in the lab. As I listened to the instructor go through the procedure, however, I realized that I needed to take pictures in the Arc Collector app, not on my phone's photo app. This meant that I had to go on a walk another day and collect the data again. Although I did finish the lab in time, I still had to repeat my data collection because I didn't read all of the instructions. This same lesson can be taken from the second lab, as it illustrated the major differences when visualizing and analyzing the same data with different projections. If one does not properly prepare the data with the correct projections, one's data will be affected.

Comments

Popular Posts